With Rishi Sunak becoming the Prime Minister of Britain, it is natural that Indians all over the world feel happy. But the thing to keep in mind is that as the Prime Minister, he has to work only for the interest of his country, Britain. Second, they have received support because of Britain’s economic crisis and because of their ability. If they don’t get the country out of the economic crisis, they may end up in a similar situation as Liz Truss and Boris Johnson. So Indians need not get too excited.
Relations with India
But it has many other aspects, which are very important from a long-term perspective.
- Rishi Sunak has a relationship with India. He is the son-in-law of Infosys co-founder Narayan Murthy, so he keeps visiting India.
- All the festivals are celebrated in his house even today, which are celebrated by common Indians. He does not hesitate to bow and prostrate before the deities in the temples. He was last seen in a temple in Britain, where he worshiped Lord Krishna with his wife Akshata on Janam Ashtami.
- Our sages who deeply understood India and Indianness wanted to be able to rise to the top as a nation and show the way to the world based on Indian culture, religion, spirituality.
Thinking like this, the importance of Rishi Sunak becoming the British Prime Minister is understood. If we look around the world, it becomes clear that from this point of view there can be no country more powerful and fortunate than India.
- About 313 politicians of Indian origin have held one or the other position in 25 countries of the world. They also include a powerful country like America.
- People of Indian origin have held power as prime minister or president 31 times in 10 countries. Neighboring Mauritius has served 10 times, Suriname 5 times, Guyana 4 times, Singapore, Trinidad and Tobago 3 times, Portugal 2 times, Fiji, Ireland and Seychelles 1 time each.
- 19 prominent leaders in Canada are of Indian origin. 8 of them are included in the government.
India recognized its strength for some time. During the tenure of the Narasimha Rao government, they were called non-resident Indians, while the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government named them as Pravasi Bharati. But the way Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the Indian diaspora around the world and tried to connect with India is unprecedented. Wherever he went in his first term, he maintained an impressive program of Indian origin. Modi established relations with leaders and dynasties of many other countries along with ancient India. It is becoming a basis for increasing India’s influence based on emotions. It has other important aspects.
- Wherever Indian people are, they have kept their culture alive in one form or the other and religious-cultural-social festivals are celebrated there.
- All such incidents have come to light after Modi government came. They have also influenced the leaders there. For example, Kamala Harris is the leader of the liberal camp, but seeing the influence of Indians, she also had to celebrate Diwali in her place. Former President Donald Trump hosted a Diwali celebration in Times Square. Currently, the US state of Maryland has declared October 2022 as Hindu Heritage Month.
However, a section of the Indian diaspora opposes Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the BJP and the RSS as much as there is a section in India. In spite of the fact that Indian people are at the peak of power in some countries, we do not have good relations with those countries. Canada is an example of this, where leaders have incited Khalistan sentiments among a section of Sikhs there. Despite all this, the way Indian leaders and ordinary Indians around the world have lost their sense of shyness towards their culture is having a profound impact. India should understand this and formulate a well thought out policy to build its strength. It will have two aspects – one immediate and the other long-term. Obviously, we have to move forward keeping these two in mind.
- Such institutions and structures have to be developed, which work in a sustainable manner in this direction.
- We should immediately integrate all kinds of Indian immigrants in such a way that they do not face any problem in that country as well. It will be a major strength for India in the current international framework.
- They have to be conceptualized from a visionary point of view. There is no difficulty in this because all branches of Indian religion and culture point the way to the welfare of all beings in the entire universe.
Remember, the way to change someone is determined not to defeat him, but to change his heart. The basic idea behind the worship of all deities is that all are forms of God, so none is our enemy.
The power of ritual
The focus of India’s policy should be that the influential Indian people in politics stand with this spirit. It is in the rites of common Indian people, so it will be easily understood by them. India can become the most influential nation in the world by recognizing the power of the Indian people and acting on a large scale with a far-reaching goal. If this happens, then India will get that proud place, which our sages envisioned.
Disclaimer: The views expressed above are those of the author.